Surrounding properties

It is important to manage wildlife on a “Landscape scale” and conserving wildlife corridors rather than small patches of native vegetation (and habitat) is important.

This is why it is fantastic if rural property owners can work together on Land Management initiatives. The best approach is to try and work with neighbours and explain why conserving wildlife habitat is important and encourage good weed management and fire regimes. If possible try not to fall out with neighbours, but build good relationships.

If there is “Vacant” land nearby you can find out if it is crown land, private or Council on a publically available program called “NR Maps”

NR Maps –

NR Maps is a mapping program holding different layers of Government information. If you like maps you will love this, although it is a little slow and you cannot hold your place yet. There is a side bar to the left which allows you to turn off and on different layers, including some vegetation, mining tenements and leases and Cadastre. Cadastre is who owns (or manages parcels of land). It will not tell you the name of private landholders, but will tell you whether the land is private, Vacant Crown Land, Pastoral or otherwise, how it is divided up and the size of each portion of land and its assigned portion number. This is really handy if you are wanting to know who is managing neighbouring land. If it is local council you can contact them with management issues.

Local council can be contacted in relation to weed management, feral animals and fire on land they have and they have a responsibility to manage these issues. This is the same as any Vacant Crown Land.

Rural Development and clearing.
Many Land for Wildlife members have been worried about development in the rural area and beyond and its effect on wildlife, or may not share the same “lifestyle aspirations” as their neighbours.

There is a rural contact in the Department of Lands and Planning who can be contacted, who can deal with queries about land clearing and development concerns.

You can view and respond to development proposals through

You can contact your local council office and / or elected member. Litchfield council has a new elected council-

Or your NT Government local member

You can find out what electorate you are in here

Voluntary Conservation for Top End Native landscapes

%d bloggers like this: